Journey and Projection : My AIYEP Story

*This story is a part of a task given by the committee of AIYEP 2019


I was in bed, just woke up with puffy eyes and nothing exciting to do that day. Been a year since I graduated and left Jogjakarta. I was helping and working with my mom since she had no one at home because all of my siblings left for school out of town. Being Millenial that I am, I woke up and drinking wa... just kidding, I was scrolling through the Instagram feed. The typical foodstagram, a friend with a baby, a friend with a spouse, or the one with white blank photo to arrange their feed. Then, I stumbled upon a new photo feed posted by scholarship-related account.

Seleksi PPAN Sulawesi Tenggara 2019.

Hmm, interesting. I’ve heard things about this before but only a word or two from my friends. I only knew about that sailing ship to Japan or youth program to Canada. I saw the administration by clicking the attached link and I thought I qualified enough to apply. I prepared and gathered my files then I went to Dispora the day after and placed it at the security table. I didn’t pay attention to the program but I found out later that Sultra only received 3 quotas for PPAN this year, 1 for female for Australia-Indonesia Youth Exchange Program.

The first step or door of selection is administration. There were 200 applicants and my name was in among them. I was ready. I was not nervous. Not in the beginning though. On the first day of selection at the hotel, we took written test. I had no friends or familiar face I recognized. It was crowded and people gathered in their circle. The selection process afterward, honestly, was exhausting. It took almost a week and a half. It was fun tho. I met so many amazing and talented friends in my hometown. The committee was friendly and helpful. During the long process of selection, I was nervous and excited. But I gave the best of me. I had nothing to lose anyway. Of course, there were moments where I should’ve done this or that. But I did my best and I am proud of that.



The elimination process went from 60 applicants, 30 and to 15. By 15, it was 10 for males and 5 for females. It was intense. There was a lot of deep interview with committee and senior, and also psychological interview. It took times and efforts. The first thing to know about me is, I am usually full of doubts when joining something but this time is different. I could feel it in my hand already. I was optimistic. I was ecstatic with the upcoming outcome. On the other hand, I also would accept my fate whatever it was.

After the last day of selection, I was expecting the result for a whole week. I was kinda lost for a moment and forgot about it. About two weeks later, I was chilling on the sofa until my friend texted me with, “Selamat Michiko terpilih PPAN !”. I was like, “What ? How do you know ?” with a confused face.  Then 20 seconds later, the IG’s tagged photos notifications hit my phone.



I jumped from the sofa and went straight to my mom’s room with the news. My mom, for sure, was happy. She always wished the best for me and she trusted me with this kind of program. I, on the other hand, was smiling from ear to ear. Happy, thankful, and proud. It’s my first shot ever in PPAN and I am selected. I couldn’t thankful enough to God, parents, friends, or people who helped me along the way.

After I got in contact with PCMI Sultra, I started my preparation by talking with senior, did PCMI’s projects and activities, and met much older senior. They talked about the program; how it affected them, how it changed them, and how to expect the unexpected.

The first thing that came to my mind about the preparation was.... dancing. I’ve never danced before. I mean, I probably had but it was a long time ago when I was a kid. I’m stiff and my go-to moves have always been, the snapping-and-swaying-body-to-right-and-left. I knew I have to dance and I have to do it in the right way. I consulted with my friend who happened to be a professional dancer and he agreed to coach me. So, I practiced with him. The first day of practice, I was... stiff and I couldn’t walk properly the day after. The second practice, I was still stiff. The third, I was getting better and I finally found my rhythm and my heels didn’t hurt anymore. Dancing is not my comfort zone but I challenged myself. I still have a long way to go to be a great dancer but I’m getting to it. I have to ‘beat’ myself.

In Kendari, I bonded with my 2 PPAN’s friends; IMYEP’s Nanang and SSEAYP’s Anang. We practiced dancing together, went to PCMI’s or Dispora’s activity together, or simply chatted about our program. We’re close friends now. Besides the fact that I gained 2 best friends, I also gained 17 friends in AIYEP 2019. My 17 friends are funny or as Gen Z says... retjeh. Not a single person is not humorous. They are fun and easy to talk to. Of course, this is an online personality but I adore them. My senior said, don’t be surprised if you see their offline personality. But, we’re talking every day and it seems really good so far. I expect there are pebbles on the road but I’m going to pick up pieces by pieces so we can have a not-so bumpy road during the program. We’re probably going to fight or argue one day, but hey, after all even Raisa and Hamish argue then what about 18 person with each strong personality ? We’re going to be fine, I bet on it. There are reasons why my 17 friends were chosen as the best out of the best.

During the long road of preparation, we held a weekly Net Conference. It might seem terrifying at first, but we got a hang on it. The weekly assignments put us on test to balance our personal life, work, school, and this program. It got hectic but now I understand the intention behind it. I managed to submit my assignment before deadline although I could do a better effort into it.

This story of how I ended up in AIYEP, or how I prepared myself during these 4-5 months might be boring and not-so-exciting or tear-jerker, but it is what it is. This is one of God’s plan. I was confused and not familiar with this program but I trust God and myself to be well-prepared, be hard-working than ever before, and be discipline.

Honestly, it is not the Australia I am excited for. It is not about the place. It’s the whole program; the idea of staying with a host family, working abroad professionally, and meeting new friends. That matters to me more. I can’t wait for barbequing with my host family, sitting in the restaurant after work, or trying Australian thing I’ve never heard before. My wishlist is to enjoy what program offers to me and live inside it as best as I could. I will be the better version of myself for myself and my country. AIYEP is not the end, it’s the start. It’s the door.

I’ve joined many activities back in my college days. I was aspired to be better for my community but I was silent for a moment. I was lost in direction for a moment. Safe to say, I almost buried my passion and ready to enter the real world. But this is it. This is my chance to rise again. My passion is burning again.

I can see myself being better. One step ahead each day. By joining AIYEP, it pushes me 10 steps forward. I am not ahead from everyone else, but I am on my own journey and road. I will be a good youth for my community. Wherever I go, wherever this foot leads me, I will remember my role for my country. Even I am in my desk working or my phone, I will be a good Indonesian youth.

After returning home in February, I’ll be back working for my PPA project, working with PCMI and Dispora for community and doing a voluntary project with other youth organizations. With louder voice, range of experience in AIYEP, and wider network, I’ll be more contributive in my local community. I won’t disappoint. I hope I can get what it takes to become a Youth Ambassador.

-

Last but not least, I’d like to say my greatest gratitude to everyone involved. My senior in AIYEP, PCMI Sultra, Dispora Sultra, my friends, and my mom. Without their hand guiding me and helping me, I am helpless.

Thank you. I will be back better and stronger for Indonesia.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

A Year : Note

O Ina